Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

The Search for the Right Yarn


I'm finishing up another project before starting on the KAL. But for the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about what yarn to use for the KAL.

I have lots of yarn but the usual excuses come up.
Not the right thickness. (This happens most of the time)
Not enough of one color. (Only have 9 skeins of a Burgundy DK)
Not the right color. (Majority of other colors are not in the red family)
It's tweed and I need solid. (I have a beautiful burgundy/gold alpaca cone, might be too busy with cables. Not sure if I have enough yarn too.)

I would love to get some Blackwater Abbey yarn. The swatch samples posted by another knitter looks so pretty.

But what is the point of a yarn stash if all the excuses prevent me from using them? So I'm determined to stash dive. I agree that the cable detail would show better with a medium shade of color. So black and inky blue is out.

I have a 2-3 pound cone of navy superwash that I'm going to try. It's a thin sock yarn so I'll have to knit with at least five strands held together. This is the first time I'm knitting more than two strands. So I'll see if it drives me crazy or not.

BGK

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

KnitALong Links
 
Japanese Translation TIPS
 
KIT-KAL Yarn Substitution
 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    My Projects
     
    My Current WIP
    .CIT KAL
    .Mozaic Socks (6soxKAL)
    .MK Son's Pullover
    .Amble Socks (6soxKAL)
    .Baby Surprise Jacket
    .Japanese Toddler outfit set
    .Kerry Blue Lace Shawl (KBS)
    .Girl Match Pants
     
    .Boy ‘A’ 2nd Sweater
     
    .Baby Boy 'B' Sweater
     
    .Donation Baby Sweater
     
    Finished
    .SKI-MET
    .HP Scarf Bookmark
    .MK Peach cardigan
    .Baby Boy 'A' Sweater (Too Small)
    .Boy 'A' Match Socks(Too Small)
    .CnL-CIC donation sox
    .Socks for Pal
    .Baby Girl Sweater
     
    My UFO’s
    .Rowan Cable Sweater
    .Men’s Chunky Merino Vest
    .Hello Kitty Toy
    .Vintage Doll Coat + Pill Hat
    .Epstein Barbie Shell + Scarf
    .Frappe Merino Kimono
     
    More Links
    Archives
    Who Links Here