Friday, October 28, 2005

 

Recycling Fiber


I came across a handmade sweater that got shrunk/semi-felted in the wash. (Not by me).
I had played with the idea that it could be steeked (cut) in the middle and converted into a cardigan. Although I thought the underarm areas were probably too thick to be comfortable. And it lacked the drape to hug a body, belling out in spots so there would be cold air sweeping up underneath. I considered taking the sleeves off and knitting a flexible cable strip along the sleeve and shoulder seams. And adding ribbing to the bottom. But I didn't have any more of this yarn.

The yarn is likely a Wendy chunky yarn. The same heather pink odd ball yarnI used on my little one's poncho. I love the heather look of this yarn and I don't like felted sweaters. So I decided to unravel the sweater instead. It took a bit of elbow grease to undo and there were fiber bits flying around everywhere. But it's now 4-5 skeins of chunky yarn.

I swatched it on US #10 needles to see what it looks like. The yarn feels comfortable, not stiff and still retains its quality. It does have various bits of felt so it doesn't look smooth in stockinette stitch. A very home grown looking fabric. I also tried it in garter stitch and I'm amazed at how much of the felt blends in so it's a good looking fabric. So I'm inspired to use this yarn with EZ's surprise baby sweater.

BGK

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

KnitALong Links
 
Japanese Translation TIPS
 
KIT-KAL Yarn Substitution
 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    My Projects
     
    My Current WIP
    .CIT KAL
    .Mozaic Socks (6soxKAL)
    .MK Son's Pullover
    .Amble Socks (6soxKAL)
    .Baby Surprise Jacket
    .Japanese Toddler outfit set
    .Kerry Blue Lace Shawl (KBS)
    .Girl Match Pants
     
    .Boy ‘A’ 2nd Sweater
     
    .Baby Boy 'B' Sweater
     
    .Donation Baby Sweater
     
    Finished
    .SKI-MET
    .HP Scarf Bookmark
    .MK Peach cardigan
    .Baby Boy 'A' Sweater (Too Small)
    .Boy 'A' Match Socks(Too Small)
    .CnL-CIC donation sox
    .Socks for Pal
    .Baby Girl Sweater
     
    My UFO’s
    .Rowan Cable Sweater
    .Men’s Chunky Merino Vest
    .Hello Kitty Toy
    .Vintage Doll Coat + Pill Hat
    .Epstein Barbie Shell + Scarf
    .Frappe Merino Kimono
     
    More Links
    Archives
    Who Links Here