Friday, October 07, 2005

 

Mystery Yarn - A Review


Okay. So here are the specs for the mystery yarn I purchased. The total weight of the package was 20 pounds (including cones and box). There are 14 different yarns.

I've listed my findings below. Half of them I had to do the burn test to guess the yarn content.

I'm not sure what I should knit with the cotton/hemp yarn. I did come across a blogger who mentioned using that type of yarn for a lace shawl. And I guess it can be used for a tote. I'm not sure how soft hemp can as fabric against the skin.

Any suggestions what kind of projects to do with all this yarn?

I think I still got a deal even though I didn't get to choose. Each cone would easily retail for $3-$6 or more. They all look and feel like decent yarns. I'd probably have to work with them to see how they hold up on the knitting machine and the wash. Only the green one feels a bit rough like rug yarn. I'm not sure if this is because of the sizing (starch coating). The rest are moderately soft (wool/wool blends) to soft (acrylic blends). I think it took a couple of weeks to deliver.



Listed by Yarn content - Thickness or yardage -
Company - Color - Weight with cone

1. 100% Acrylicl - 4/9 wt - (4-ply worsted) -
Wintuck - Xmas Green -- approx. 1.5 lb
2. 100% cotton - fingering weight -
?unknown - royal blue -- approx 1 lb
3. Acrylic/Linen/Rayon - 1700yds/lb -
Yarn Country- Sky Blue - - approx 1 lb
4. Acrylic/Rayon? - fine -
?unknown - sky blue/white - - approx 1 lb
5. Cotton/Hemp - fine -
?unknown - pastel yellow - - approx 3 lb
6. 100% wool - fine -
?unknown - dark brown - - approx 1.5 lb
7. Cotton - 14/2 wt (fine) -
Yarn Country -color turquoise - - approx 1 lb
8. Acrylic(80) / Nylon(20) -3000yds/lb -
Yarn Country-magenta - 1.12lbs
9. 100% wool - fine -
?unknown - Navy - approx 1.5 lb
10. Polyester? Acrylic blend - fingering -
?unknown - medium blue and silver - approx 1 lb
11. Acrylic/wooly wool or nylon (bit of elasticity) - sewing thread thin - ?
unknown - Dark Brown/Black - approx 1/2 lb
12 100% wool - fine -
?unknown - White - approx 1.5 lb
13 100% wool - fine -
?unknown - Black - approx 1.5 lb
14. 100% Acrylic - 2/4.5 (Worsted) -
Templon - Ginger (Orange Brown) - approx 2 lb
(Not affiliated with the Newtons.com. Just a first time customer.)
BGK


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

KnitALong Links
 
Japanese Translation TIPS
 
KIT-KAL Yarn Substitution
 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    My Projects
     
    My Current WIP
    .CIT KAL
    .Mozaic Socks (6soxKAL)
    .MK Son's Pullover
    .Amble Socks (6soxKAL)
    .Baby Surprise Jacket
    .Japanese Toddler outfit set
    .Kerry Blue Lace Shawl (KBS)
    .Girl Match Pants
     
    .Boy ‘A’ 2nd Sweater
     
    .Baby Boy 'B' Sweater
     
    .Donation Baby Sweater
     
    Finished
    .SKI-MET
    .HP Scarf Bookmark
    .MK Peach cardigan
    .Baby Boy 'A' Sweater (Too Small)
    .Boy 'A' Match Socks(Too Small)
    .CnL-CIC donation sox
    .Socks for Pal
    .Baby Girl Sweater
     
    My UFO’s
    .Rowan Cable Sweater
    .Men’s Chunky Merino Vest
    .Hello Kitty Toy
    .Vintage Doll Coat + Pill Hat
    .Epstein Barbie Shell + Scarf
    .Frappe Merino Kimono
     
    More Links
    Archives
    Who Links Here